Website privacy statement
On this page:
- Application of this privacy statement
- Personal information
- Collection of personal information
- How we collect information
- Use and disclosure of personal information
- Access to and correction of personal information
- Internet user risks
- Website usage measurement
- Email addresses
Application of this privacy statement
This website contains links to other websites which are not part of the department. This privacy statement does not apply to those websites.
Department of Transport
GPO Box 2392
Melbourne Vic 3001
Tel: (+61 3) 9208 3112
Email: [email protected]
Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic): Personal information
In this privacy statement the term 'personal information' has the meaning provided in section 3 of the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic).
Personal information is information or an opinion that is recorded in any form, whether true or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained.
This Act is the legislation that regulates our collection and handling of personal information.
Detailed information about the Act is available at the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner.
Collection of personal information
- When someone else provides the department with your personal information. The department cannot prevent this. However, you are entitled to access and to correct any personal information about you collected by the department.
- When the department collects website visitation statistics using a web analytics service.
How we collect information
If you do not want your personal information being stored offshore, you can decline to provide this information by not responding to these surveys
Electronic direct mail (EDM) & newsletter subscription
The department uses both internally built mail distribution software and third-party vendors to provide online communication services for some email campaigns and newsletter services.
In subscribing to newsletters, you are providing the department with personal information, which we will not disclose for any other purpose without your consent.
You can unsubscribe at any time and your email address will be moved to a 'do not contact' email database. To do this, click on the unsubscribe link within each email or newsletter type you have previously subscribed to.
Subscriptions supported by third-party vendors only share details to assist with managing delivery, technical issues and the prevention of fraud or security issues. They include but may not be limited to:
- The department only collects information that you voluntarily provide via polls, responses, posts, comments, direct messages and tweets
- Your social media profile contact details may be used to contact you for feedback or to engage you in conversation. All contact will be made via the channels you choose to participate in
- Any information you post on social media sites is potentially accessible to anyone else engaging with the same social media.
- Your individual privacy settings for profiles and accounts on social media networks are your responsibility. The department has no control or jurisdiction over these settings
- Each social network has inbuilt privacy settings. We strongly recommend that you regularly check and configure the privacy settings for your profiles and accounts to make sure that you know what information you are making available, and to which audience.
- When you choose to join our social networks and/or participate in any way, some of your personal information may be made visible to others. For example, if you choose to: ‘Like’ a department post, tweet, comment or update; share a link; follow on Twitter; tweet a mention or retweet a message; or join a Facebook Group, your activity may be made visible to others within these networks.
- For transparency and disclaimers across any Department of Transport social media advertising: [email protected]. Please note this mailbox is not monitored for customer enquiries.
Social media account managed by the department include but may not be limited to:
If payment services are supported by third-party vendors the department will only shares your details with them to assist:
- resolution of technical issues; or
- detection or prevention of fraud or security issues.
Use and disclosure of personal information
Personal information that is collected by the department will be used by, and disclosed to, departmental employees or contractors whose duties require them to use it. Such employees and contractors are required to protect and handle your personal information in accordance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic) and any other applicable legislation regulating the collection, use, disclosure, storage and destruction of personal information.
Access to and correction of personal information
You may request access to any personal information that the department may have collected about you. Also, you may request correction of your personal information if you can establish that it is not accurate, complete or up-to-date. The Victorian Privacy Commissioner has recommended that the appropriate means to access and correct information held by government departments is pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic).
The Freedom of Information Officer may be contacted on the details below about access to, and correction of, personal information collected by the Department or for any questions or concerns you may have arising from this privacy statement.