Upgrading the Victorian fleet
The Victorian Government is upgrading Victoria’s current train and tram fleet to improve safety, reliability, accessibility and comfort for passengers.
The projects include:
- The VLocity Refresh Project which is upgrading 75 existing VLocity regional trains, by 2021, make them more comfortable and accessible.
The North East train fleet upgrade, which has refurbished the V/Line classic fleet regional trains on the North East line and added an additional train to improve comfort and reliability ahead of the delivery of new standard gauge VLocity trains for the line.
- The upgrade of Melbourne’s Comeng train fleet, adding more comfortable seats, additional handholds, new CCTV cameras and driver CCTV screens, PA systems and emergency buttons.
- The refurbishment of more than 85 percent of Melbourne's trams (A, B, C, D and Z-Class).
- Restoration of 12 of Melbourne’s historic W-Class trams including a new impact-resistant driver’s cabin, new electronics and wiring. The trams' exteriors will also be rebuilt and repainted too.
- Further upgrades to some Z-Class trams to keep them in good shape until their eventual retirement from the network.