Building our rolling stock industry
Victoria is the hub of Australia’s rolling stock industry.
Our rolling stock orders and local content rules are creating thousands of jobs for Victorians and building a sustainable, innovative rolling stock supply industry.
Our manufacturing businesses are world-standard thanks to a highly skilled workforce and superior research and development institutes, with several local companies already operating in the global market.
The Department is currently preparing for the next generation of rolling stock procurement that will provide a continued pipeline of work for the local rolling stock industry, from major manufacturers to small sub-component businesses across the state.
Victoria’s rolling stock industry has a strong, secure and exciting future with plenty of opportunities, both locally and globally, for Victorian businesses and workers.
Rolling stock industry engagement
We provide a range of services, including:
- Building connections between global OEMs, Victorian manufacturers and suppliers through trade mission programs, workshops and other networking events
- Managing a detailed database of Victorian rolling stock supply chain companies so manufacturers have a comprehensive understanding of the local industry’s capability
- Building the skills and knowledge of local supply chain companies to help them secure local and global rolling stock tenders by providing pathways to grants, identifying opportunities for suppliers to partner on major tender bids, and hosting seminars
- Working with Victoria’s rolling stock industry and educational and training institutions to build critical industry skills and ensure manufacturers can leverage Victoria’s research and development capabilities on new train, tram and bus projects
- Championing Victoria’s rail industry interests nationally and internationally through the Victorian Rail Advocate.