A number of projects are under way in regional Victoria to improve access to roads, public transport and the freight network.
We're working to deliver major projects that will relieve road and rail congestion, upgrade services and support Victoria's future economic growth.
Transport for Victoria is planning for the future of Victoria's transport system, ensuring it grows as the community, economy and technology changes.
Geelong to Waurn Ponds Railway Planning Project
The Victorian Government is getting on with delivering the next stage of works to deliver the $4 million Geelong to Waurn Ponds Railway Planning Project.
The project will deliver the detailed planning required to complete a business case for duplicating the track from South Geelong to Waurn Ponds.
The single rail track between South Geelong and Waurn Ponds is a bottleneck on the network and limits the ability to run more frequent and reliable services for passengers to the south of Geelong and Warrnambool.
The project will examine a range of rail track duplication options and other rail infrastructure upgrade works to ultimately deliver more trains, more often to Geelong and the growing south-west.
The Victorian Government has committed $3 million to this project, with a further $1 million allocated from the Commonwealth Government, to help provide more frequent services to passengers.
A key focus of this project is to hear from key stakeholders and communities, seeking their input to help shape plans.
A range of rail infrastructure upgrade options will be assessed to ultimately deliver more trains, more often. The project will examine options for:
- rail track duplication between South Geelong and Waurn Ponds
- modernising the Geelong to South Geelong tunnel
- signalling upgrades between Geelong and Waurn Ponds
- upgrades at South Geelong, Marshall and Waurn Ponds stations.
Bendigo Metro Rail
We're delivering a metro-style rail network in Bendigo with an increased number of services running from Epsom, Eaglehawk and Kangaroo Flat to Bendigo.
The Victorian Government has committed $2 million towards the Bendigo Metro Rail project.
We implemented stage 1 in September 2016, with a significant increase in services including:
- A further 10 trains each weekday for Epsom station
- All weekday trains between Bendigo and Melbourne stopping at Kangaroo Flat
- An evening train from Southern Cross extended to Eaglehawk
- An extra carriage on four Bendigo services
- Full details of the Victorian Government's response to the taskforce recommendations can be found in Bendigo Metro Rail – response to recommendations (DOCX 60.3 KB).
- Bendigo Metro Rail recommendations report (DOCX 618.87 KB)
- Summary of recommendations (DOCX 26.59 KB)
- Bendigo Metro Rail terms of reference (DOCX 89.15 KB)