Clearway fines

We’re introducing changes to clearways to help traffic flow smoothly on Melbourne’s busy roads.

Stronger enforcement of clearways and tow-away zones

Clearway signIt is an offence to park in a clearway and tow-away zone during restricted times.  Drivers parking illegally in a tow-away zone will have their vehicles towed away and will receive a parking fine in addition to the current impound fee.

The clearway sign will show the times of operation. If there are no times on the sign, the clearway applies 24 hours a day.

Please do the right thing and keep clearways clear.  Find out more about clearway changes

Has your vehicle been towed? 

If your vehicle has been towed by Nationwide Towing & Transport Pty Ltd, a report of non-compliance will be forwarded to the Department of Transport for review. 

The Department will review the Nationwide Towing & Transport report and may issue either: 

  • Fine
  • Warning
  • Court summons
  • No further action.

Pay your fine

You can pay your fine in full in the following ways:
  • online
  • in person at any post office
  • by phone on 1300 303 505  
For any enquiries, please email [email protected]

Request a payment extension

If you are unable to pay a fine by the due date, you may ask for an extension to the deadline.

Payment extension requests can be submitted via email and must include:

  • infringement number
  • name
  • address  
  • reason for requesting an extension
  • contact number

If you would like to apply for an extension, please email [email protected].  

Legal assistance  

If required, you can get advice from:

Interpreting service

If you require an interpreting service, please telephone 13 14 50 or visit the Translating and Interpreting Service website for more information.

Request an internal review

You may apply to the Department for an internal review for one of the following reasons:

  1. Contrary to law: you believe you didn’t park in a tow-away zone during restricted times. 
  2. Exceptional circumstances: there were unforeseen and verifiable circumstances outside of your control that could excuse your conduct. For example, a medical emergency or vehicle breakdown.
  3. Mistaken identity: you believe the fine was issued to the incorrect person or vehicle. For example, you weren’t in the alleged location.
  4. Special circumstances: this is a specific term defined in infringements legislation, where a driver is unable to either understand or control the conduct that led to the offence due to homelessness or family violence.
  5. Person unaware: you didn’t receive the fine because you changed your address with VicRoads around the same time you incurred the fine.

In this case, you will need to appeal within 14 days of becoming aware and provide evidence that you were not aware. If you have changed address, you would have notified VicRoads within 14 days of relocating. The Department will not withdraw the fine on this ground, but will consider waiving additional costs incurred. 

Learn more about what grounds you can request a review, and how to request the review of a fine.

Request to have the matter heard in court

If you wish to elect to have your matter dealt with via the Magistrates' court, you must do so prior to your due date. To elect to have your matter heard at court, please email your request to: [email protected]

Contact us

Phone: 1300 135 066

Email: [email protected]

Postal address: 

Department of Transport
Transport Regulatory Operations Branch
Clearway Infringements Team
GPO Box 2392