COVID-19 industry support package
The Victorian Government’s $22 million support package for the commercial passenger vehicle (CPV) industry is being progressively rolled out to support job security and help passengers and drivers to travel safely during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
The Department of Transport (the Department) has been assessing eligibility for the following grants which are available to booking service providers and independent owner-operators:
If you are a CPV vehicle owner or driver whose vehicle receives bookings through a booking service provider (BSP), you are not eligible for a grant because your BSP will support you through the grant they receive.
Assessment of these grants will shortly be closing.
The Department will accept eligibility assessment requests until 19 October 2020.
To assist us in accurately assessing your eligibility, please complete the form at Get Involved.
Cleaning grants are designed to help your business purchase cleaning and sanitation products and undertake cleaning activities consistent with public heath advice and any published guidance or standards, such as providing hand sanitiser in the vehicle.
- For non-major BSPs and independent owner-operators, each grant will be between $250 and $37,500 scaled according to BSP size
- Major BSPs will receive a $300,000 grant.
Eligibility for assessment
All BSPs, including those registered with Commercial Passenger Vehicles Victoria (CPVV) and those that are exempt from registration, and independent vehicle owner-operators whose vehicle does not complete booked trips will be assessed for a cleaning support grant.
If you are a CPV vehicle owner or driver whose vehicle receives bookings through a BSP, you are not eligible for a grant because your BSP will support you through the grant they receive.
Payment amounts and conditions
Assessments and determination of payment amounts and conditions will be made on a case-by-case basis, taking into account the individual circumstances of each BSP and independent operator.
- Payments will be scaled according to size.
- Recipients are required to use funds to facilitate the purchase of cleaning and sanitisation products, including alcohol-based hand sanitisers for vehicles.
- Depending on the size of your grant, you may be required to sign an agreement with the Department prior to receiving your payment.
The regional fund will provide grants to support BSPs in regional communities, ensuring vulnerable regional Victorians, including the elderly or people living with a disability, retain access to CPV services.
Small BSPs that primarily service regional areas outside of large metropolitan centres and are equipped to provide Multi Purpose Taxi Program (MPTP) trips will be eligible to be assessed.
Payment amounts and conditions
Grants of up to $12,000 will be made on a case-by-case basis, taking into account the individual circumstances of each BSP. Payments will be scaled according to BSP size.
Depot fee subsidy
A depot fee subsidy will be provided to BSPs with at least one Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) in their fleet to cover the cost of monthly depot/association fees for those vehicles.
Receipt of the subsidy will be conditional on BSPs providing this benefit to vehicle owners and drivers through reduced depot or association fees.
To be eligible BSPs must have had:
- At least one WAV in their fleet prior to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic
- active vehicles in June 2020, both WAV and conventional vehicles that registered at least one trip for the month.
Payment rules and conditions
Assessments, and determination of payment amounts and conditions, will be made on a case by case basis, taking into account the individual circumstances of each BSP.
- BSPs will receive a $250 payment in August, September and October for each active vehicle identified as of June 2020 (those that registered at least one trip for the month of June).
- BSPs will be required to divide the total subsidy received equally amongst all active and connected drivers and vehicle owners who paid (or are due to pay) depot or association fees in August, September and October. The August payment will be made retrospectively.
Further information relating to other components of coronavirus (COVID-19) industry support package being delivered by CPVV can be found on the CPVV website.
CPV operators may also be eligible for a grant to up to $20,000 from the Business Victoria Business Support Fund. Grants are designed to provide direct financial support to businesses impacted by restrictions in Victoria.
The amount of grants available from this program range from $10,000 to $20,000 depending on the business’ annual payroll.
For information about eligibility criteria and how to apply visit the Business Victoria website.