Upgrades to fix suburban roads
The $4 billion Suburban Roads Upgrade is fixing 20 key roads in Melbourne’s western, northern and south eastern suburbs so traffic and public transport can flow better and you can get where you need to go sooner and more safely.
The upgrade will also repair and resurface 37 roads and strengthen seven structures, mostly bridges.
Three new overpasses on the Federation Trail will make it easier and safer for cyclists and pedestrians to get where they need to go.
The upgrades are being delivered as a partnership between the Victorian Government and project consortium Netflow.
The partnership includes improvements and maintenance for more than 260 kilometres of road between Footscray and Werribee for the next 20 years.
The western upgrades are expected to be finished in 2021 and planning and community consultation is underway for upgrades to a further 12 key roads across the northern and south-eastern suburbs.
Northern Roads Upgrade
- Childs Road, Mill Park between Beaumont Crescent and Prince of Wales Avenue
- Sunbury Road, Sunbury between Powlett Street and Bulla-Diggers Rest Road
- Epping Road, Epping between Craigieburn Road East and Memorial Avenue
- Bridge Inn Road, Doreen between Plenty Road and Yan Yean Road
- Craigieburn Road, Craigieburn between Mickleham Road and the Hume Highway.
Intersections will be upgraded along Fitzsimons Lane in Templestowe and Eltham, and traffic lights installed at Leane Drive in Eltham.
South Eastern Roads Upgrade
Planning is underway for the south-east where we'll add extra lanes to:
- Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Road, Pakenham South between Princes Freeway and Manks Road
- Lathams Road, Seaford, between Oliphant Way and Dandenong-Frankston Road
- Hallam North Road, Endeavour Hills, between Heatherton Road and James Cook Drive
- Narre Warren-Cranbourne Road, Cranbourne, between Thompsons Road and the South Gippsland Highway
- Pound Road West, Dandenong South, between Abbotts Road and South Gippsland Highway, with a new bridge over the Cranbourne train line.
Road safety and surface improvements will be made along Golf Links and Grant Roads, and the roundabout upgraded at Golf Links, Grant, Warrandyte and Baxter-Tooradin Roads in Langwarrin South.