Works begin on St Kilda Road
St Kilda Road will be closed between Flinders Street and Southbank Boulevard from Sunday, 27 June until Monday, 12 July, as the busy Flinders Street Station tram stop undergoes a major upgrade.
The overhaul will include a larger platform and new access ramps and shelters to address overcrowding and improve comfort for the 365,000 passengers who use this stop each week.
Nearly 600 metres of tram tracks on Swanston Street and St Kilda Road will also be replaced as part of the project.
Drivers and tram passengers should allow extra time when planning their journeys.
Road closures and detours
St Kilda Road will be closed between Flinders Street and Southbank Boulevard from Sunday, 27 June until Monday, 12 July.
Southbank Boulevard will also be closed between St Kilda Road and Sturt Street.
Drivers can detour using Kings Way or Punt Road. Detour signage will be in place throughout the works to guide drivers.
Tram routes 1, 3, 3a, 5, 6, 16, 64, 67 and 72 will be affected during the closures.
- Route 1 trams divert via Kings Way, William Street and La Trobe Streey between Stop 22 Dorcas Street and Stop 7 RMIT University.
- Route 5 trams run between run between Malvern and Stop 38 Orrong Road.
- Route 3, 3a, 64 and 72 trams run between Stop 17 Grant Street and the south eastern suburbs.
- Route 6 and 16 trams run in sections with no trams between Stop 11 Collins Street and Stop 17 Grant Street.
- Route 67 trams divert along Kings Way, William Street and La Trobe Street between Stop 22 Toorak Road and Stop 7 RMIT University.
The following tram stops will be closed:
- Stop 13 Flinders Street Station
- Stop 14 Arts Precinct
- Stop 17 Sturt St/Southbank Bvd
- Stop 18 Grant St/Sturt St
- Stop 19 Miles St/Sturt St
- Stop 20 Kings Way/Sturt St
Pedestrians will still be able to access buildings, businesses and footpaths in the works area.