The Department of Transport charges fees and fines in accordance with all Victorian Government departments.
- fees for services and regulatory purposes, including licensing and registering certain activities
- fines for improper conduct, and to discourage unlawful behaviour
- fees and fines are officially set and revised by their relevant legislation.
The Victorian Government has a policy of automatically indexing certain fees and fines each year for inflation to ensure the value of fees and fines is maintained.
Also on this page:
- Pay a tax invoice
- Public transport ticketing and fares
- Public transport fines
- Key public transport regulations
- Automatic indexation of fees and penalties
Pay a tax invoice
You can make an online payment for a tax invoice from the department.
Public transport ticketing and fares
Ticketing conditions for rail, tram and bus services in Victoria are outlined in the new myki and Victorian Fares and Ticketing Manual, which came into effect on 1 March 2018.
The conditions detail the calculation of public transport fares, passenger responsibilities when undertaking journeys and other key requirements for people using the Victorian public transport system.
Public transport fines
Find out about public transport fine options, how fare enforcement has become fairer and how to pay your fine online.
Authorised officers are employed by public transport companies to ensure people comply with ticketing and behavioural rules.
This helps ensure the successful and safe delivery of public transport services.
Automatic indexation of fees and penalties
The following documents contain lists of the automatically indexed fees and fines which are the responsibility of the department and which contribute to the Victorian Government's consolidated revenue.
The lists on this page are current as of 1 July 2020 with the exception of Over Dimensional Load Fees and Fisheries Fees and Penalties. These lists are current as of 1 July 2019 and are under review.
- 2020-21 Bus Safety Fees and Penalties (PDF 143 KB)
- 2020-21 Bus Safety Fees and Penalties (XLSX 36 KB)
- 2019-20 Fisheries Fees and Penalties (PDF 1749.01 KB)
- 2019-20 Fisheries Fees and Penalties (XLSX 145.26 KB)
- 2020-21 Marine Safety Fees and Penalties (PDF 401 KB)
- 2020-21 Marine Safety Fees and Penalties (XLSX 63 KB)
- 2020-21 Miscellaneous Fees and Penalties (PDF 111 KB)
- 2020-21 Miscellaneous Fees and Penalties (XLSX 30 KB)
- 2019-20 Over Dimensional Load Fees (PDF 392.3 KB)
- 2019-20 Over Dimensional Load Fees (XLSX 14.1 KB)
- 2020-21 Ports, Transport and Pollution Penalties (PDF 251 KB)
- 2020-21 Ports, Transport and Pollution Penalties (XLSX 44 KB)
- 2020-21 Public Transport Infringement and Court Penalties (PDF 323 KB)
- 2020-21 Public Transport Infringement and Court Penalties (XLSX 51 KB)
Further fees and fines information is available on the following websites:
- Commercial Passenger Vehicles Victoria
- National Heavy Vehicle Regulator
- Office of the National Rail Safety Regulator
An enforcement agency can address minor law breaking by issuing an infringement notice (on-the-spot fine) as an alternative to court prosecution for specified infringement offences.
The maximum court penalty is the maximum amount the court can impose on an offender from 1 July 2020. Infringement fines are lower than the maximum court penalty.
Although the Department has sought to make the lists as accurate and complete as possible, updates and revisions may be necessary.
Visit the Department of Treasury and Finance website to find links to lists from other departments.