Fairer fare enforcement
From 1 January 2017, a fairer approach to fare compliance was introduced in Victoria.
The new approach is fairer and allows more systematic use of warnings in certain circumstances when people inadvertently do not pay their fare. It replaces the current two-tiered approach of infringements and on-the-spot penalty fares.
Key features include:
- the abolition of penalty fares
- greater leniency and discretion
- more systematic use of warnings in certain circumstances for passengers who inadvertently do not pay their fare
- targetting of repeat and deliberate fare evaders
- better training and support for Authorised Officers
- improved infringement processing
- myki system upgrades.
Making it easy to pay a fare
Victorians will find it easier to pay their public transport fare with several improvements to the myki system including:
- online myki top ups within 90 minutes
- louder beeps on myki machines
- anti-glare screens on myki machines
- a trial of quick top up and check machines at 10 locations
- roll-out of new, faster myki readers on E-class trams and trials on selected buses.
Review of ticketing compliance and enforcement
The simpler, fairer and more efficient public transport ticketing infringement system follows two separate reviews of Victoria's ticketing compliance and enforcement system.
Our review of Victoria's ticketing compliance and enforcement found while more passengers pay their fares, the previous system was inequitable, unfair and encouraged fare evasion.
The Victorian Ombudsman's investigation into fare evasion enforcement strategies also found the previous system was not striking the right balance between fare compliance and what is fair and reasonable.
We've accepted the recommendations in both reports and we're getting on with improving the public transport infringement system.
- Review of Victoria's ticketing compliance and enforcement (DOCX 174 KB)
- Review of Victoria's ticketing compliance and enforcement (PDF 1081 KB)
- Public Statement on the Government's Strategy for Compliance and Enforcement of Public Transport Ticketing DEDJTR TP Ticketing Compliance and Enforcement Review (DOCX 495 KB)
- Public Statement on the Government's Strategy for Compliance and Enforcement of Public Transport Ticketing DEDJTR TP Ticketing Compliance and Enforcement Review (PDF 144 KB)