A number of projects are under way in regional Victoria to improve access to roads, public transport and the freight network.
We're working to deliver major projects that will relieve road and rail congestion, upgrade services and support the state's future economic growth.
Transport for Victoria is planning for the future of Victoria's transport system, ensuring it grows as the community, economy and technology changes.
Geelong to Waurn Ponds Duplication
The Victorian Government has completed a business case as part of the $4 million Geelong to Waurn Ponds Railway Planning Project – to run more trains, more often between Geelong and Waurn Ponds.
The project delivered the detailed planning required to produce a business case for duplicating the rail track from South Geelong to Waurn Ponds.
The single rail track between South Geelong and Waurn Ponds is a bottleneck on the network and limits the ability to run more frequent and reliable services for passengers to the south of Geelong and Warrnambool.
The business case examined a range of rail track duplication options, and other rail infrastructure upgrade works, to ultimately deliver more trains, more often to Geelong and the growing south-west.
Feedback from passengers and stakeholders was gathered as part of the project which included geotechnical investigations, detailed planning and station precinct concept design work.
The Victorian Government invested $3 million to this project - and the Federal Government allocated a further $1 million.
A range of rail infrastructure upgrade options were assessed through the business case including:
- rail track duplication between South Geelong and Waurn Ponds
- modernising the Geelong to South Geelong tunnel
- signalling upgrades between Geelong and Waurn Ponds
- upgrades at South Geelong, Marshall and Waurn Ponds stations.
The Victorian Government has submitted the business case for the South Geelong to Waurn Ponds Railway Duplication to Infrastructure Australia for assessment.
Bendigo Metro Rail
We're delivering a metro-style rail network in Bendigo with an increased number of services running from Epsom, Eaglehawk and Kangaroo Flat to Bendigo.
The Victorian Government has committed $2 million towards the Bendigo Metro Rail project.
We implemented stage 1 in September 2016 with a significant increase in services including:
- A further 10 trains each weekday for Epsom station
- All weekday trains between Bendigo and Melbourne stopping at Kangaroo Flat
- An evening train from Southern Cross extended to Eaglehawk
- An extra carriage on four Bendigo services
- Full details of the Victorian Government's response to the taskforce recommendations can be found in Bendigo Metro Rail – response to recommendations (DOCX 60.3 KB).
- Bendigo Metro Rail recommendations report (DOCX 618.87 KB)
- Summary of recommendations (DOCX 26.59 KB)
- Bendigo Metro Rail terms of reference (DOCX 89.15 KB)
For more information, email [email protected] or call 1800 800 007.